Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Mourning" the Marathon

Perhaps mourning is too dramatic ... sad that the race is over? Okay, that's a little better. Now you must think I'm crazy! I'm sad that a race is behind me?! Well, yeah, I am. I've gone through so many weeks of training leading up to the marathon and yet when I first started the program I wasn't even thinking of running that race. I was scheduled for some half marathons and just wanted to be ready.

But after registering for the Portland Marathon I became excited for the possibility of the completing the impossible in my mind. As it got closer the nerves built up more and overpowered the excited-ness. I had never run 26 miles in my life! I missed that week in training as my schedule got flip-flopped. The most I had done was 23...so I knew I could do that. What's another 3 you ask?...a lot actually!

People ask me how I'm feeling after the race and how it went. I actually had an awesome experience and truly loved every moment of it! Even the crazy uphill climb of the ghastly St Johns Bridge at Mile 16/17. I made this race fun for me. I had to, or else ... no, there is no else ... I went into it telling myself to stay positive and keep yourself energized. I've done the training and this was my "victory lap"!

Okay, so I'm sure you're wondering about the sadness part. Well, this "impossible" goal was met and conquered. Now what? It's like I want go back and experience that feeling of accomplishment again! What's next that will give me that same positive high that this marathon gave me? An ultra? Do I dare set myself up to train for something above 26.2 miles? Right now that's the "impossible" dream I have.

Has anybody else ever experienced this before? Am I really this odd? Crazy? Completely off my rocker?

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment