Monday, October 10, 2011

I'm a marathoner!!!

Okay, seriously, if you would've told me a year ago or even the beginning this year if I ever thought I could say that, I would've laughed!  I was still hesitant running half marathons, but now enjoy those races.  I've been training since February 2011 with a local Galloway Training Program group here in Portland and met with them every Saturday running all over Portland.  And then finally it was Portland Marathon weekend.

The whole experience was amazing!  I've heard some people have had bad experiences during their first marathon and even while I was running the race someone told me that usually at Mile 20 and 21 people hit their walls and struggle to finish the last few miles.  I have gotten used to not listening to music as I run, but had my iPhone with me the whole time.  I even text a few people!  I got an update from my friend Nic after her race in Denver and I let her know my progress.  As I was running though I try to keep it entertaining and interact with the spectators and talk to some of the runners I'm near. 

Interacting with specatators ... how does one do that you may ask?  There were a couple times I would pass by lines of people standing by and cheering, so I would take a running leap in the air and they would cheer louder!  I figured that if I could do this after Mile 19, I was doing pretty good!

As I was nearing the end of the race, around Mile 24 I realized that I was going to finish in the time I had estimated ... around 6 hours.  I then thought, to just finish the race by walking the rest.  That would be the left side of my brain trying to be sneaky!  I didn't fall for it.  I kept up with my 30:30 pace and ran/walked the rest of the way and finished with a 6 hour 9 minute time!!! I was thrilled!  I of course was crying, but soon found some of my fellow Galloway runners. 

Oh, and talk about after race schwag! A medal, a finishers shirt, a running coin, a charm/pendant, a rose, a space blanket (to keep warm) and a tree seedling!  The entire race was so much fun and I'm very happy with what I've accomplished!  I may even run it again next year!

And I do feel some soreness, but after sleeping for 12 hours, I went to work today with no problems.  I had scheduled to stay home, but felt energized and kept thinking what would I do all day?  I know most people would say "relax!", but I couldn't.  I went to the office and enjoyed the day!  I even wore my race finishers shirt!

Overall this past weekend was more than I ever imagined possible!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment